- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon regular salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1-1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or fine dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. dried savory, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a bowl.
2. For marinade: In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk and half of the salt. Pour over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
3. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In a small bowl, combine egg and the water. In a shallow dish, mix panko, sage, thyme, savory, pepper and the remaining salt. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture.
4. In prepared baking pan, arrange chicken so pieces are not touching. Sprinkle with any remaining crumb mixture.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Do not turn pieces while baking. Makes 4 servings.