Monday, February 15, 2010

Cordon Bleu Chicken Rolls

I think Chicken Cordon Bleu has been one of my favorite things to eat since I was little. It always seems like a special treat because I don't make it very often. YUMMY. My grandma and I made this the last time she was visiting-she better come again SOON. I made it again tonight and it was just absolutely fabulous, or maybe I was just really hungry. Either way-I found it extra delicious, as did my bro and Kevin too! You can find the original recipe here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cordon-Bleu-Chicken-Rolls/Detail.aspx. The directions seem a bit long, but it is truly simple.

Ingredients
8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used 3 and sliced them long ways to make them extra thin, so really 6 total)
8 slices cooked ham-I use party time ham, about a half a piece per chicken depending on the size
4 slices Swiss cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces-I just use half a slice/whole slice per chicken
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried thyme-whoops, I totally forgot that part!
1/4 cup melted butter-I truly think I melted a whole stick-cannot go wrong with butter!!
1/2 cup cornflakes cereal crumbs-I used a lot-because I used them in another recipe tonight...

Sauce
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).(I had it at 350 for my potatoes)

Place each chicken breast half between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to about 1/8 inch thickness. Place a finger of cheese on each ham slice and sprinkle lightly with thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Roll up seasoned ham and cheese 'jellyroll-style', then roll each chicken breast with ham and cheese inside. Tuck in ends and fasten with toothpicks.
Here are my rolls-


Place melted butter in a small bowl and place cereal crumbs in a shallow dish or bowl. Dip each chicken roll in butter or margarine, then roll in crumbs, turning to coat thoroughly. Place coated rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
Here is one of mine all rolled up!


Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for about 40 minutes (I ended up at 350/375 for an hour because I also had Cheesy Potatoes in the oven) or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Serve with cordon bleu sauce, if desired.


To Make Cordon Bleu Sauce: In a small saucepan mix together the soup, sour cream and lemon juice. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, and serve hot over chicken rolls. Makes about 2 cups; 8 servings of 1/4 cup each.
(I recommend the sauce-yummy!)

Finished in the pan...


All plated up and ready to eat!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment