Monday, February 22, 2010

French Toast Casserole

This one I stole from one of the blogs I follow...http://serendipitybistro.blogspot.com/. It was really easy, and we like to have breakfast for dinner sometimes too! I served it with some sausage links. It had the consistency of bread pudding, which is one of my all-time favorite things. YUM! I did cut the recipe in half from what was posted at this blog. It turned out great, and we will make it again for sure! I copied and pasted the recipe below-I did it just the same, but I cut it all in half. I still baked it for the same amount of time.

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 loaf Pepperidge Farm bread (1#)
6 eggs
2 c milk
Maple syrup (the real thing, not pancake syrup)

Directions

Use a 9x13 inch dish. Melt butter. Add brown sugar & cinnamon; make a paste & spread over bottom of dish. Use only Pepperidge Farm bread (this recipe will take a 1# loaf). Remove crusts. Layer two slices of bread and fill in sides and ends with smaller pieces. Beat 6 eggs & add 2 cups milk. Pour over top. Cover & refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. Uncover & bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Drizzle maple syrup on top. Place under broiler until brown & bubbly. Allow to sit 5 minutes before cutting. When serving turn the slice upside down on the plate. This allows all the ooey, gooey from the bottom to now run all over the slice as you eat it.

Before the flip!! This was right out of the oven!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, does this sound rich! But I'll probably make it anyway. I love most breakfast casseroles too. A glass of OJ and a slab of ham - oh mama!. from Grandma's friend Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it was pretty sweet:) But not as sweet as I thought it would be! I hope you are doing well Marianne!

    ReplyDelete